Austin Morton, Foster MBA 2019, is currently EV (Electric Vehicle) and Sustainability Program Manager at Element Fleet. It was great to speak with him about his career path and how he succeeded in achieving his goal of a post MBA career in the sustainability field which started at CLEAResult just after graduation.
Before attending Foster, Austin worked for in communication roles in environment and sustainability including with the World Resources Institute. He knew that he wanted to continue working in sustainability after graduation. While in the program, Austin participated in a variety of activities that allowed him to use his MBA skills on sustainability related projects including the Alaska Airlines Environmental Innovation Challenge, and NetImpact.
Austin is one of my first return guests having been on to talk about his experiencing attending MBArk2Boulder, you can listen to that episode where we are joined by Alli Green who also attended MBArk at Expo West. Visit MBArk for more information about MBArk2Boulder, Expo West which we mention during our conversation
Some of the other resources we discussed:
- Alaska Airlines Environmental Innovation Challenge
- Dempsey Startup Competition
- Buerk Center For Entrepreneurship
- The Energy Gang Podcast
- ACT: Advanced Clean Transportation Expo
- Wood MacKenzie which now owns Green Tech Media
- Sustainabile Career Pathways
- Bloomberg Green and Bloomberg Hyperdrive
- Bloomberg New Energy Finance (BNEF)
Foster Faculty and Classes:
- Elizabeth Sterns’s class, Cases in Sustainability
- Jeff Shulman’s classes in product management and pricing
- Charlie Donovan, Visiting Professor, focusing on sustainability
- Spreadsheet Modeling 2
If you enjoyed this podcast and are interested in an impact career, you might also enjoy my conversation with Peter Boyd from the Yale School of the Environment and Yale School of Management, and Resident Fellow at the Yale Center for Business and the Environment. My conversation with 2-Hour Job Search author Steve Dalton is also relevant to anyone engaging in a custom career search at business school.